Monday 2 September 2013

AFF level 2: Sat 31 Aug 2013

So we're back at the drop zone a few days later and my brain has fried.

I was absolutely petrified before going up.  I didn’t know what to expect for the first jump and was so focused on not forgetting anything that I had just done my check-in, check-out, out-in-out (go!) before I’d had time to really register what I was doing.  By the time I realised, I was stable, flying level and was already into my drills.


This time I remembered the terror I’d experienced immediately after jumping out and wasn’t convinced I’d be able to do it again.  I vaguely remembered the exhilaration after landing and being so eager to go straight back up again, but after a long wait on the Sunday, then all day Monday, plus an insane week at work trying to squeeze 5 days worth of work into 4 days, that was just a distant memory. 
I was still calm in the plane, ran through all my checks with a degree of confidence, answered all the questions correctly but with a growing degree of apprehension.  When the door was opened, I had a real jolt again (guess that’s my door monster!) and watched with mounting disbelief as several people gaily threw themselves out, laughing and joking.  Am I the only sane person here?? No, wait, I’m here so I’m not sane either….


We moved to the door, Fletch got out, Paul had hold of me inside, I got into position – check in - check out – out – in – out….WTF am I doing, “no, no, wait, I’m not ready” and I’m back in the plane.  Deep breath, move back to the door to get into position but Fletch has already signalled to the pilot to go back around and is climbing back in through the door (no mean feat at 90mph!!).  They both still had hold of me, he closed the door and we moved back onto the benches.  I can remember taking deep breaths and both of them just waiting.  Paul told me we had plenty of time, then they asked me what was wrong.  I stammered something about not being in the right position and not being ready, but inside I was screaming “get me off this $%&*£* plane”.  They assured me we had plenty of time and to just take some deep breaths.  Fletch asked me if I still wanted to jump and I said yes.  I have paid for this jump, I’ll be damned if I’m landing in the plane.  I’ve got two instructors to hold onto me, I know I can land so all I have to do is throw myself out of the door, they will stabilise me, they’ll even pull for me if I can’t do it and then I just have to get down.  Then I can get in the car and drive away from the dropzone and never come back…. Rich can still come and play and I will go and do all those other things I promised myself I would do if he got hooked all over again….
So the red light goes on, Fletch opens the door, looks at me – are you ready to skydive? Yes. To the door.


And I get myself into a better position than last time, deep breath, check-in – check-out – look at wingtip, deep breath – out – in - out – hard arch…… and suddenly I remember why I wanted to come back and do this again! I’m flying, I’m stable, the horizon is coming around level – yes, this is it, this is exciting. Circle of awareness – practice touches – horizon, altitude, position, breathe… woah, wait, who’s that? There’s someone in front of me! How? What? It’s Fletch!! I didn’t even feel him let go and he’s smiling and giving me the thumbs up.  My grin is splitting my face and I stick my tongue out at him as I give him a thumbs up.  Altitude is fine, body position seems ok, breathe – woo hoo!  And now it’s time, 6000’ lock on, 5:5, reach - locate – throw and this time I remember to count and it’s not such a shock when Paul lets go and I’m flying under my big orange canopy.  CATTS done, found the holding area, managed to stay in the right place this time.  Had a play with spirals and turns, always keeping the landing area in sight, then had to fly into wind with my back to the landing area until it was time for my downwind leg.  Radio support all the way this time, and I landed on my feet!  Awesome, awesome jump :-)
Debrief was similar to the previous jump – both instructors very happy with me and this time the weather is holding calm, so on to Level 3!!


Update:  I'm not the only one who goes through this - loving the image of the door monster on this blog ---> Skydiving-duck

No comments:

Post a Comment