Monday 14 October 2013

Consol 10: 28 Sep 2013


Not really enthusiastic about this jump but hopefully it’s the final one and then I will qualify.  And then I will see where to go from there.  Not happy about the winds – we have a rare occurrence of wind shear, with the wind changing direction at 5,000’ so we’re going to be put out of the plane in what from the ground appears to be completely the wrong place.  I get several wind briefings, just to make sure I know what I am supposed to be doing.  Chris M’s advice is to pull a bit higher than normal if I’m not comfortable, so I decide I’ll probably pull at 5,000’.  People are landing off all over the place so the jump run has been changed a couple of times – probably won’t make that much difference to me, I’ll do my usual trick of hovering in the holding area and then I should be under normal wind conditions.   
Totally non-eventful jump.  Not even particularly nervous, just wanting to get it over with.  A tick in the box.  And hopefully a reasonable landing.  Free fall went fine, usual stuff of doing a few turns, a quick track, some attempts at side slides, one of which made me wobble a lot so I obviously did something a bit odd with an arm or leg.  Was weird going in the opposite direction to the wind sock but I had expected that from the multiple wind briefings, so it was more of an observation than anything else. 

Pulled at 5000 and did my usual canopy checks, got to the holding area without any problems and tried to determine a respectable landing pattern that might avoid yet another talking-to.  And it worked, to a point.  I didn’t land where I wanted to but it was on my feet and I didn’t mess anything up.  Feeling very deflated even though it’s only late morning.  Had a go at front riser turns and ended up doing pull ups.  I don’t think the canopy even noticed!  Found out later that student rigs are loaded differently to other rigs so it’s unlikely I will be able to do anything with the front risers, despite Chris’s declaration that I should be able to make turns on them before downsizing a canopy.
Back at manifest after dropping off my rig, and I learn that the winds have picked up a little and are still quite flukey, so students are on weather hold.  But that doesn’t include me.  Chris tells me to complete my paperwork for my CH1 and my A licence application form and then I can continue to jump as a qualified jumper, as I am no longer a student.  I didn’t know I needed passport sized photos for the application, so I end up traipsing off to the nearest service station to find a photo booth.  I completed my CH1 exam last week and brought it with me, so all that is left is to hand everything over with my card details (£15 admin fee) and my application will be sent off for me on Monday.  Such a bitter-sweet moment.  I’ve done it, I’ve passed and I’m quite pleased with myself for sticking with it, but don’t feel any real joy in the achievement.  Too many emotions churning around, along with the knowledge that my landings are far from the standard I would have hoped for by now, so I drift back out into the sunshine without bothering to manifest. 

And other people start asking “How did it go? Did you get your CH1 signed off? Are you qualified now?” and it starts to feel a little more real.  I smile and tell them yes, I now have my A licence, though I stop short at calling myself a skydiver.  I don’t feel like a skydiver, I make too many mistakes and get lots of ‘review sessions’ from the instructors.  I don’t feel confident in my ability to land in the right place and I don’t feel comfortable that I will know when to get out of the plane when there is no-one to despatch me. 
Chris has told me to get myself a hook knife as I should wear one now that I am qualified, though apparently I’m only to use it as a very last resort, for a line-over on a reserve.  If I get a line-over on a main, I should cut-away as previously instructed.  Rich has bought one for me as a ‘well done’ present but I have very mixed feelings as I take it from him.  I am not at all certain that I will continue, I definitely don’t want to jump in conditions that are not considered ok for students, especially on my bus of a student parachute.  So I feel at a bit of a loss. 

A call comes out for catchers to help with landing tandems so I go to assist and that turns out to be pretty easy and a lot of fun.  A chance for some camaraderie and some gratitude from the tandem instructors, and a different perspective of the landing field.  I realise that this is the first time I have ever stood here without a harness on – I have never watched landings from the landing area itself, only from the other side of the runway. 
The day passes and I get more congratulations from people as time goes on, but I feel a bit of a fraud, smiling and joking with them all.  I have no intention of jumping again today, I’m really not in the right mindset.  I buy beers later and try to ignore all the comments about how I need to start on my FS1 coaching jumps straight away.  I am forever under scrutiny for my landings, there’s no way I’m about to put myself under the cosh for my free fall too!!  Next step will be CH2, if I continue – solo jumps with the sky to myself, and learning how to land consistently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment