Wednesday 13 November 2013

Back in the sky – and first malfunction! 09 Nov 2013


After a horrendous journey in extremely heavy traffic, I eventually arrived at the dz well after 9pm on Friday night.  Having planned to leave work early to try and get up there for about 6:30, I was pretty zonked and planned to have a relatively early night, then a lie-in (if possible, difficult for an insomniac!) and pootle about practising packing and drinking lots of tea on Saturday.  Except the weather forecast changed from horrible, to actually quite pleasant.  Cold, but not too much wind, with clear sunny spells.  Might be jumping after all….
And so it turned out.  Got up at 8:30am and tandems were already arriving for their briefings.  Several AFF students were also being briefed and the first load was manifesting.  So I put my name down and found a rig, though at 280 sq ft, it was bigger than I really wanted.  Cecilia and I headed to the packing shed to see if there were any other rigs available and found another 4.  I grabbed a 260 and she got the 240 and we headed back to kit up.  It was to prove to be an eventful decision!

All was fine going up and I wasn’t nervous in the plane, even though I’d expected to be after a break of 6 weeks.  This was my first jump after qualifying so I had absolutely nothing to prove, just try and concentrate on a good landing and get these patterns sorted so I can land on the grass.  The temp at altitude was -13 deg C so I was bundled up in as many layers as I could get on, including a thermal hoodie (with the hood on under my helmet!) and a neck warmer that was pulled up over my mouth and nose.  I decided on a tuck exit so jumped and went straight into a couple of back flips and then arched.  Nice and easy, nothing challenging, all very familiar.  Then I checked for the landing area.  And couldn’t see it! The familiar landmarks didn’t seem to be there.  Eventually I realised that the caravans that usually mark a line directly towards the landing area had been removed so there was only a series of brown patches in the grass marking where the bright white caravans had been lined up.  I was fairly comfortable with my exercises, so decided to pull at 4,000’ as planned.  That was all fine, soft opening, clear airspace – until I went for my toggle checks.  And discovered that my left brake toggle was stuck.  The right one came down cleanly so I was a bit confused for a moment, then tried to inspect the toggle to see what was wrong.  I couldn’t work it out so gave it a few more firm tugs and nothing was happening.  I was still in clear air and at good height so I gave it a hard yank – and all that happened was the rear riser pulled down.  Ok, I can’t steer left and I definitely can’t flare.  It briefly crossed my mind that I could attempt to land on rear risers but instantly dismissed that as being a) too tiring and b) probably way beyond my capabilities at this stage.  So time for a cutaway. 
Oh *&%^! The air was a bit blue for a couple of seconds, but my hands were already going for my handles. I didn’t even need to look, I’d checked them several times on the ground and in the plane and since I was on a slow malfunction (flying under a good canopy, just not able to control it fully) and was upright, the handles were exactly where I expected. So Cut – Away – Reserve and suddenly I’m back in freefall.  Although we’d drilled for this, the reality is a bit of a shock.  One moment I’m floating under a nice big canopy, then next minute my risers are flying up away from me and I’m accelerating fast.  It seemed to take a long time for the reserve to deploy and ‘catch’ me but that was probably because of the contrast between being under canopy and freefalling again.  In reality, I doubt it was longer than 3 seconds. Unfortunately my brain had gone into overdrive mode by then so I dropped my handles as I was so focused on getting hold of my new toggles.  It can’t have been very long because I had a very soft opening and was nowhere near terminal velocity.  I was also still quite close to my wildly flapping main canopy and could see it twisting as it flew.
Next step – now I’m back under a fully functional canopy (bright canary yellow) and have done all my checks (not bothering with the system checks for obvious reasons, lol), I’m trying to work out where to land.  Luckily the winds were relatively light so I hadn’t gone too far off course.  I was at about 2,000’ and quite close to the landing area on the correct side of the runway, so I was able to crab sideways across the fields and get in line with the landing area.  I was too far downwind to have any hope of making it back to the grass but I was happy to be in the right general area.  I landed neatly on my feet, gathered everything up and headed for the bus.

Lots of teasing and a beer fine to follow for my first malfunction and chop (with another beer fine for losing my handles!) but everyone was very pleased to see I was ok. I was a little shaken but not excessively so – I kept expecting to go into shock once I’d had time to process what had happened, but throughout the day, I never did.  My main canopy didn’t function fully, I’d been trained to perform EPs without thinking about it, and it all just worked.  I filled out my malfunction form, had a cup of tea and manifested for load 3.  I didn’t have any qualms at all about getting back in the plane or jumping again, which I think surprised a couple of people.
But my adventures for the day were not yet over.   Up we went, threw out Conrad and Brian for a hop and pop at 5,000’ and continued up to altitude.  By 6000’, the cloud had started.  And I kept looking out of the window as we climbed and couldn’t see anything.  By 8000, I spoke to Papa G and asked if he could see anything.  He wasn’t concerned and said we would look for a gap in the cloud when we were on jump run.  Ok, fair enough.  Except this looked a bit thick to be broken cloud cover….

9000, 10000 and I’m still not able to see anything at all out of the window.  Charlotte was JM and she asked the pilot Wayne what the wind speed was at the top.  30 knots.  Ok, so now we have several thousand feet of thick cloud, high winds and no sight of the landing zone.  Charlotte looked for the spot and called it.  She told the pilot and the rest of us that she wasn’t prepared to jump with her FS1 student as they wanted to pull at 6000 and couldn’t guarantee they would be out of the clouds, plus wouldn’t be able to see each other for the coached jump anyway.  I had already decided there was no way I was getting out.  Tim was happy to take his tandem out, and Papa G and Thomas also decided to jump, though Thomas left his skysurf board in the plane.  4 of us stayed put and came back down.  I was more than happy to lose my jump ticket in order to avoid any further risks – I would be flying blind for way too long, had no GPS or other indicator of direction and wasn’t convinced that the cloud would stay clear below 6000’.  I hate clouds at the best of times – icy clouds in high winds were definitely a no-brainer!
A nice surprise when we landed was that we were refunded our jump tickets.  Because the JM declared she wasn’t happy with the spot and couldn’t see it, and because the clouds turned out to be 6000’ deep (12000’ down to 6000’ on our descent!), the dz credited us for the jumps even though some people had chosen to jump anyway.  They all landed safely, though they all flew through ice and rain – definitely the right decision to stay in the plane, lol.

And onto the next adventure.  Tracking down a missing main…..
As I was landing under reserve, Kye was already off looking for the freebag and main.  As the plane went up for loads 2 and 3, Wayne was looking out over the fields for the main too.  But so far, it hadn’t been spotted.  How can 260 sq ft of dayglo orange parachute just disappear??  It was cloudy up high but the sky lower down was clear and bright, where on earth had it gone?  I joined in the search and spent over 2 hours walking around fields inspecting trees, hedgerows and ditches along the approximate flight path but no joy.  I even had the locals helping me at some points – I must have looked a strange sight, striding about in a blue jumpsuit with bright yellow FS grips on the legs, periodically consulting a map, ha ha.

As I drove back to try and catch up with everyone to see where to search next, Conrad stopped me to let me know that the canopy had been spotted from the air, stuck in some trees and someone had headed off to retrieve it.  3 hours later, and it had been seen (and photographed) from the air again but still not tracked down on foot.  Eventually, the guys worked out which treeline it must be in, and planned to go back first thing in the morning when it was light to see about recovering it.
So back to manifest then for round 3.  I was manifested onto load 5 (very slow day!), found another rig and off we went again.  So far today I’ve had a reserve ride, lost my handles, come back down in the plane for the first time (another beer fine) and lost a main canopy that hasn’t yet been recovered.  My bar bill is going to be impressive, surely my adventures are done for the day…???  Err no.  Another first.  This time a nuisance factor.  I have never experienced line twists ever.  Until today.  7 full twists after I pulled at 4000’.  Is somebody trying to tell me something, rofl?  Kicked them all out eventually, canopy was functioning fine and I landed, according to the correct pattern, on my feet on the grass. Yay! Go me! 

Back to the minibus and I’ve pretty much had enough for the day.  Way too much excitement and I really could do without anything else going wrong.  Except everyone on the bus has a different plan – sunset load! Really? Yes, ok fine guys, you go ahead without me.  Nope, not good enough. What??!!  Haven’t I had enough excitement for one day?  And anyway I haven’t got a rig.  
* There’s loads of rigs, not a good enough excuse.  Get on the manifest.

And as I go into the packing shed, sure enough, there is a 280 packed and ready to go.  Lol, you talked me into it.  So the guys race to pack their kit and I head back over to manifest to warm up for a couple of minutes.  No need to even take my gloves or altimeter off, we are already on a 15 minute call to get back up before it gets too dark.  
And so we head up for the final lift of the day.  And it’s bitterly cold up there.  For the first time, I really feel it in freefall – not just the icy wind on my face, but my feet and hands are feeling it too.  I had a great jump, with another good landing (on my feet on the grass again) but my hands are like blocks of ice and the Reynauds has kicked in. I won’t be doing another sunset load in these temperatures, I have found my limit.   

And it’s been an awesome day.  Considering the forecast was so dire, I would have been really pleased to get 3 jumps in regardless, and tomorrow looks like being even better weather-wise. I coped pretty well with my first malfunction, the bar tab wasn’t too outrageous as not many people stayed since they had a party to go to, and now Conrad has promised to do a two-way with me tomorrow if the weather proves to be as good as it’s forecast to be.  Life is good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment